Friday, February 24, 2012

OSCAR 2012 PREDICTIONS: Will "The Artist" be able to beat Hollywood multimillion productions?



 
 










 
Entertainment Weekly magazine film critic Owen Gleiberman has outlined his picks for who he thinks should and will win big at Sunday's Oscars and filed the following report.

The Academy Awards are Sunday night, and to help you with your office Oscar pool, here are my predictions for who I think will win, along with my personal choices for who ought to win.
If it were up to me, I’d give the Best Supporting Actor award to Christopher Plummer, who gave the performance of his life in "Beginners" as an elderly gay man who comes out of the closet after his wife dies. It sounds like a cliché role, but Plummer made every line sing with rueful experience. For that reason, I predict he’ll win.
For Best Supporting Actress, I’d give the award to Octavia Spencer. Her performance in "The Help" had a dose of comedy and what the media likes to call sass, so it may have looked like a more conventional performance than that of her co-star Viola Davis. Yet just because Spencer was smart-mouth funny doesn’t mean that she wasn’t brilliant. And I predict she’ll win the award.
For Best Actor, I would choose Brad Pitt, who in "Moneyball" did an all-too-rare thing: He gave a total movie-star performance that was also a great piece of acting, playing Oakland A’s manager Billy Beane as a visionary of baseball victory who is haunted by his failure as a player. Pitt, make no mistake, has become a great actor, but I predict the award will go to Jean Dujardin, for his winningly authentic impersonation of a silent-movie star in "The Artist".
For Best Actress, my choice is Viola Davis, who played the wary, saddened housekeeper Aibileen in "The Help" with a grave emotional eloquence that took the film, at its best, to a note of deep and moving truth. And I predict that Davis, in what will probably be the emotional high point of this year’s Oscar ceremony, will win the award.
For Best Director, I’d give the prize to Terrence Malick, who made "The Tree of Life" with such rough-hewn storytelling poetry that it’s as if James Joyce had been given a hand-held camera. But I predict the award will go to Michel Hazanavicius, for his very clever and touching work in creating "The Artist".
And finally, my favorite movie of the year was "The Tree of Life," followed by "The Descendants". I’d be happy to see either of those movies win, but I predict the Best Picture Oscar will go to "The Artist", a film that, for all its retro silent-movie charm, was a little lightweight for me.

Click to learn more...

No comments:

Post a Comment